- We welcome everyone. We were all beginners once and some members still are. Our mission as a guild is to provide our members an opportunity to share our expertise, to encourage each other as we develop our skills and to schedule classes/workshops with master polymer clay artists from across the country. We welcome you to come to a Guild meeting even if you’ve never used polymer — all you need is an interest in the medium and a yen to find out what the possibilities are.
- Every meeting features at least one demonstration on some topic and the guild also hosts master classes several times a year with visiting artists. These classes/workshops, while not covered in your membership dues, are an excellent way to learn many techniques and are for all skill levels. We are also joined by Guest Artists from time to time which is a terrific free benefit of Guild Membership. Best of all you gain access to many people who all share a love of polymer and are more than willing to share knowledge and help out someone new to the medium.
Where and When are the meetings — and what happens when we get there?
- We meet the third Sunday of each month (except February, July, August and December) from 10AM-4PM at the Sydney Hillman Apartments at 22 S. 22 Street. Hillman is right across the street from the Mutter Museum. Sign in at the Hillman reception desk (tell the guard you are attending the PAPCG meeting) and take the elevator to the second floor. Make a right off the elevator go through the rec room and we are in the conference room at the end of the hall behind the double door. You can’t miss us. Any cancellations for inclement weather or any reason will be announced on our blog by 7 AM on the day of the meeting.
Where do I park?
- Street parking is metered and we recommend you use the lots. There is a 20-minute unloading zone in front of building if needed. When there is a major downtown event, parking can be more difficult. Radio station KYW-1060 will announce traffic pattern changes.
- The Lot behind the Mutter Museum has convenient parking. You enter on 21st Street just below Market. Pay at the automated Kiosk. It should offer you the price of $12 for the day. If it doesn’t cancel and re-start the process. That is the weekend daily rate.
- The bargain hunters willing to cross Market Street can park for $7 at the lot on 2126 Market Street. This is a valet lot where you leave your keys.
What should I bring?
- Your enthusiasm and interest in art and polymer clay! Members bring clay tools to work on their own projects or to take part in the techniques being demonstrated.
- A basic tool set includes a work surface, clay blade, acrylic roller and/or pasta machine, a needle tool and an assortment of clay. You can bring a lot more than that! Check the blog to see if there is a particular theme or if a guest artist suggests particular materials. Bring your finished work, and any items you want to “Freecycle.” The Guild has a convection oven to cure your work while you are at the meeting.
- Time flies at meetings but we always break for lunch! You can bring your lunch and snacks or you can join the other members who get take out at nearby restaurants or markets like Trader Joe’s. There is always a group of people who go to a local Chinese restaurant and new people are welcome.
What are the benefits of joining the Guild? Are there any restrictions?
- Guild members are entitled to attend meetings which occasionally include well-known Guest Artists at no additional fees. Guild members have priority to sign up for Master Classes before the classes are offered to non-guild members(additional fees are charged for Master Classes). Members can post their work on our Guild photo website. Guild members also receive Members Only newsletters that contain news of other polymer events often before that news hits the Internet. Minimum age for membership is 18.
- Registration for Master Classes opens for Guild Members about 60 days prior to the scheduled class. We use PayPal for our class payments. Payments can be reversed completely within 60 days in the event a class needs to be cancelled.
- Membership dues are $40 for the Guild Year that runs September to September. Dues paid after May 1 are good through August 31 of the following year. All dues are paid either at a meeting or through our PayPal account.